Sunday, July 25, 2010

The life of Ben-networking

I don't know about you, but I was always kind of embarrassed by the idea of networking. It seems like such a shameless and vain attempt at self-promotion. But then I learned a bit of wisdom by studying the life of Ben.

Franklin was a social, indeed gregarious man. He had many friends, and they were from all walks of life. For example, his philosophical discussion group the Junto consisted of cabinet makers, clerks, and cobblers.

According to Wikipedia, the Junto was rooted in the concept of "mutual improvement." Its members were expected to exchange information about politics, morality, philosophy, and business management.

Great things came from the Junto. This group later became the American Philosophical Society. The statue of Franklin shown above adorns the building that houses that great organization.

As Franklin showed through the creation of the Junto, networking doesn't just have to be about self-promotion. It can also be used to promote the common good. It can be used to promote friends, their ideas, and the things you care about.

Learning about Franklin and the Junto made me realize that I had networking all wrong. It's not just about me. It's about the things and people I believe in.

Networking for the common good. One of the many things you can learn by studying the life of Ben.

No comments:

Post a Comment